Playground and Outdoor Safety
All rules listed below have been developed over time for the safety, courtesy, and respect for all.
- We will use the playground equipment safely and appropriately.
- We will not throw sticks, rocks, acorns, gravel, snowballs, woodchips, etc.
- We will not climb trees, backboards, backstops, or bike racks.
- We will not have food on the playground.
- We will not go back to the classrooms or lockers before lunch.
- We will respect playground boundaries. We may not leave the play area without permission from an adult.
- We will play touch football, soccer, and whiffle ball on the grassy a reasonly (when the fields are dry). No football, soccer, or whiffle ball will be played on the hardtop.
- We will not bring wooden or metal bats, lacrosse sticks, hard/soft balls, hard Frisbees, water-shooting toys, skateboards, Heelies, or roller blades onto the playground.
- We will not bring electronic games, cell phones, iPods, or trading cards of any kind to school.
- We will play four square fairly and cooperatively.
- We will walk our bikes and scooters on school property during school hours(Scooters should be kept in lockers during school hours.)
- We will line up quickly, quietly, safely, and immediately when the whistle blows three times.
Consequences for infractions:
- Time out (approximately 5 minutes)
- Meet with Assistant Principal (general code of conduct)
Playground Structure/Web Area Rules
- Before school (8:15-8:30 a.m.) only Grades K-3 may use the play structure.
- The Web is for Grades 1-5.
- One hand must be on the web rope at all times.
- No backpacks are allowed on the playground equipment.
- The tops of the structure components should be used for hanging hands only;no sitting, standing, or hanging by knees is allowed on the tops of the structure components.
- There is only one person at a time allowed on the structure ladders.
- Children must sit down and slide down in a forward position on the slide.
- There is no climbing up the slide.
- There is no tag playing on or around the structure.
- Children should glide across on the trolley in an orderly manner; they are not to throw the trolley handle back and forth.
- The tire swing may be used by no more than 3 children at a time, sitting with legs inside the tire.
- There is no standing on any swing.
Students should wear appropriate winter clothing for outdoor recess. This means snow pants and boots for playing on the hill or in the snow- covered areas. If children only have boots, they will only be allowed on the blacktop. Students who go outside for recess without a jacket will be sent back indoors.
There is ABSOLUTELY no snow or ice throwing while outdoors. This means at the end of the day, as well.There will be a consequence for doing this, since the injuries can be very serious.
Playing on the hill behind Bridge can, at time,be dangerous. When we feel it is too icy, we "close" the hill. We also ask students, when sliding on the hill, to please do so in an upright position, in other words, not head first, or lying down.