The School Committee will place limits on commercial activities and fund-raising activities in the schools for the following reasons:
- The school system should provide students, parents, and employees some measure of protection from exploitation by commercial and charitable fund-raising organizations.
- The school system shall not give the public the impression of endorsing or sanctioning commercial and fund-raising activities.
- Commercial and fund-raising activities may disrupt school routine and cause loss of instructional time.
Following these guiding statements, the Superintendent and Principals may permit occasional commercial or fund-raising activities related to the objectives of the schools with the following exceptions:
- Any staff involved must obtain written permission from the School Principal.
- No direct solicitation of students or employees may take place without the Superintendent’s permission.
- No staff or student will be pressured to participate.
For the purposes of this policy, local PTA and PTO groups and groups representing school system employees will be considered "school groups" and will be governed by the Committee's policy on staff solicitations.