The School Committee believes that student activities are a vital part of the total educational program and should be used as a means for developing wholesome attitudes and good human relations and knowledge and skills. Therefore, the schools will provide a broad and balanced program of activities geared to the various ages, interests, and needs of students.
The following will serve as guides in the organization of student activities:
- The schools will observe a complementary relationship to the home and community, planning activities with due regard for the widespread and rich facilities already available to students.
- The assistance of parents in planning activity programs will be encouraged.
- The goal for each student will be a balanced program of appropriate academic studies and activities to be determined by the school, the parents, and the student. This should be a shared responsibility.
- Guidance will be offered to encourage participation of all students in appropriate activities and to prevent over-emphasis on extracurricular activities at the cost of academic performance.
- All clubs and groups will have a faculty advisor.