Each student at Lexington High School is required to complete a minimum of 40 hours of community service during their high school career (transfer students must perform 10 hours per year of attendance at LHS) in order to graduate. Students must complete 20 hours of community service to be eligible for open campus. Juniors entering the year in September must have 20 hours of community service documented and seniors entering the year in September must have 30 hours documented. Students may begin accruing hours beginning the summer prior to ninth grade. The yearly community service requirement may be satisfied by participation in either a single activity or a combination of approved activities.All community service questions should be directed to email@example.com
Definition of Community Service
Community Service is defined as an act or activity performed by an individual without compensation or academic credit, whose time and effort will benefit/aid a person or group of people and is without direct religious or political involvement. A community service activity must conform to the following:
- Is performed without compensation to the student. Examples: Court-ordered community service, paid work and work receiving academic credit will not be accepted.
- Is not associated with the practice, promotion or ceremonies of any religion. A non-religious activity performed through a religious community but does not benefit the religious community directly, will be considered.
- Results in a service to at least one person other than the student or the student's relative and is generally of benefit to the "community."
- Is separate from a service activity for which the student is already receiving school or organizational credit.
- Is not performed during scheduled class time.
- Political campaigning or work benefiting political organizations or causes directly can not be accepted.
Process for Earning Community Service Credit
To earn credit for community service:
- The service must meet the prior definition.
- The service must be performed for an approved service organization, or be approved by the Community Service Secretary.
- The service must be verifiable from information provided on the community service form completed by the service supervisor.
- The service form must be submitted to room 705 for approval and processing. Forms for each 90-day time period should be submitted by the posted submission deadline. [See below]
- All forms must be legible. Incomplete or late forms may delay the processing of your hours.
- The service may be performed in the community at large or at LHS.
- For service during scheduled study halls, prior approval by the student's guidance counselor is required.
Approved Service Opportunities
The Community Service Secretary maintains a list of approved vendors. Click HERE to see the current list. Please refer to this list if you are having difficulty finding an opportunity to serve or if you are unsure if an organization has been previously approved.