Each fall, 5th graders at Bridge are invited to participate in the Massachusetts Children’s Book Award (MCBA) program run by Salem State University. This is one of the few book award programs where students actually get to choose the winners! The program officially begins in the fall, but students were introduced to it this week and were given the book lists so they can read over the summer. This is an optional program.
· You must read and respond to at least 5 books from the list of 25 nominated books
· You may read a print copy or ebook, or you may listen to an audio book or a read aloud. All formats count.
· You must submit a brief response for those 5 books using the online response form that will be available on the library webpage - http://lps.lexingtonma.org/Page/3097
· If you read and respond to 20 of the 25 books, you will get a free book at the Book Fair in the spring
· Voting will take place in March. More details about the voting process will follow.
Visit the MCBA blog to view more information about the books:
There are at least 2 copies of the MCBA books in the Bridge library. Some may be available in your classroom libraries, and most public libraries will also have copies.
If you have any questions about the MCBA program, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Alexander Hamilton: The Making of America series by Teri Kanefield
Ancient Egypt by Ken Jennings
Ban this Book by Alan Gratz
Betty Before X by Ilyasha Shabazz
Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk
Book Uncle and Me by Uma Krishnaswami
The Care and Feeding of a Pet Black Hole by Michelle Cuevas
The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora by Pablo Cartaya
The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill
The Great Treehouse War by Lisa Graff
Harriet the Invincible by Ursula Vernon
The Homework Strike by Greg Pincus
House Arrest by K.A. Holt
Jubilee by Patricia Reilly Giff
Lucky Broken Girl By Ruth Behar
Lucky Enough by Fred Bowen
Maxi’s Secrets: (or What You Can Learn From A Dog) by Lynn Plourde
The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl by Stacy McAnulty
New Kid by Jerry Craft
Payback on Poplar Lane by Margaret Mincks
The Poet’s Dog by Patricia MacLachlan
Restart by Gordon Korman
Scar Island by Dan Gemeinhart
The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser