LHS Math: About Our ProgramThe Mathematics Department offers a comprehensive four-year mathematics program whose goal is to enable all students to reach high standards and full potential in a supportive, academically focused environment. We seek to engage students in meaningful mathematics that stimulates curiosity and enjoyment, while providing a balance between skill development and conceptual understanding. Throughout our curriculum, we emphasize these eight Mathematical Practices identified in the Common Core State Standards and the Massachusetts Curriculum Framework for Mathematics:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.