BA: SCHOOL COMMITTEE OPERATIONAL GOALS
The School Committee is responsible to the residents of Lexington. The Committee's current decisions will influence the course of education in our schools for years to come. The Committee and each of its members must look to the future and to the needs of all people more than the average citizen finds necessary. This requires a comprehensive perspective and long-range planning in addition to attention to immediate problems.
The School Committee's primary responsibility is to establish those purposes, programs, and procedures that will best produce the educational achievement needed by our students. The Committee is charged with accomplishing this while also being responsible for wise management of resources available to the school system. The Committee must fulfill these responsibilities by functioning primarily as a legislative body to formulate and adopt policy, by selecting an executive officer to implement policy, and by evaluating the results. It must carry out its functions openly, while seeking the comments of public, students, and staff in its decision-making processes.
The School Committee will:
- Periodically set performance objectives for itself and evaluate its’ accomplishment.
- Set objectives for performance for each position it is designated to evaluate.
- Allow the people responsible for carrying out objectives to have a role in setting them.
- Establish practical and timely goals.
- Conduct a concrete and periodic review of performance against these goals.
- Communicate with the public, staff and students, in order to maintain awareness of attitudes, opinions, desires, and ideas
Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
Adopted by Lexington School Committee: July 2015