KI: VISITORS TO THE SCHOOLS
The School Committee encourages parents and guests to visit classrooms to observe and learn about the instructional programs taking place in our schools. Such visits can prove most beneficial in promotion of greater school-home cooperation and community understanding of how we carry out the school system's mission and goals.
The following guidelines to classroom and school visits should be followed:
- Parental requests to visit your child’s classroom will be welcomed as long as the educational process is not disrupted. To this end we request that such requests be made at least forty-eight hours in advance to allow for proper arrangements to be made.
- The building Principal has the authority to determine the number, times, duration and dates of observations by visitors. This will be done in consultation with staff members so as to give adequate notice to the staff members of the upcoming visits.
- For security purposes it is required that all visitors report to the Principal's office upon entering and leaving the building and sign a guest log showing arrival and departure times. Teachers will ask visitors if they have registered in the Principal's office. All visitors will receive a visitor’s pass and shall wear it on school property and return it on exit.
- Under ordinary circumstances classroom observations will be strongly discouraged during the first three weeks of school and during the month of June.
- Any student who wishes to have a guest in school must ask permission of one of the administrative staff 24 hours in advance of the proposed visit. If permission is granted, the guest is expected to follow the standards of behavior expected of all students. Upon arrival the guest must register in the office.
- Any guest who fails to comply with this policy and LPS rules will be asked to leave theschool building and grounds immediately.
IHBAA, Observations of Special Education Programs
Lexington Public Schools, Lexington MA
Adopted by Lexington School Committee: July 2015