- The Lexington Public Schools (LPS) follows regulations under the Massachusetts Department of Public Health 105 CMR 210.000: THE ADMINISTRATION OF PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS IN PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS and the Massachusetts Department Board of Registration of Nursing regulations. The LPS physician and the LPS nurse leader shall supervise the medication administration program and develop and oversee procedures to administer such a program. Nursing staff shall establish a record-keeping program for each student requiring medication.
- The school nurse shall develop with parents/guardians a medication administration plan for each student requiring such medication administration. Provision for medication administration during field trips and other short-term special school events shall be a part of the plan. Nurses will not delegate medication administration for out-of-state field trips. Epinephrine is administered only in accordance with a written medication administration plan developed by the school nurse and updated annually.
- A student may be responsible for self-administration of his or her own medication upon meeting certain requirements established by procedures in (1).
- Alternative therapies such as homeopathic, herbal, and nutritional supplements will only be administered when there is a written order from a Massachusetts licensed prescriber who is caring for the student. The school nurse may not administer any type of regimen if it is not approved by the FDA, in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act and 105 CMR 210.000.
- Medication errors - Failure to administer medication according to the prescribed order will be reported to the parent and the LPS nurse leader as procedure established in (1).
- The Superintendent shall maintain an Administrative Directive for Medication Procedures.
Lexington Public Schools, Lexington MA
Adopted by Lexington School Committee: July 2015